Five reasons Manchester City have not prospered in the Champions League
Is it the struggling Touré or the wrong mind-set that is hampering the English champions on the European stage?
• Kompany: ‘Why the hell were only CSKA fans allowed in?’
• Paul Wilson: Can a home crowd still make a difference?
European football: talking points from La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1
- Our experts are back with a new format, looking forward to the weekend’s La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 action
- Subscribe to The Guardian’s YouTube channel
Liverpool to take no action over Raheem Sterling’s nightclub visit
• Teenager visited Cirque le Soir after recent England game
• Forward left out of starting team due to tiredness
• Reported for club training as normal
Ian Poulter divides opinion but his route to success is quite a story
The golfer’s autobiography is his usual mix of comedy and controversy, but he’s still a man you’d like to go for a pint with
• Poulter rediscovers his Ryder Cup midas touch
• Poulter hits back at Faldo over García criticism
Talking Horses: best bets for Wednesday’s racing plus our competition
The Marco Botti-trained Dandino has been pulled out of the Melbourne Cup after suffering a setback in trainingREAD MORE...
To improve basketball the NBA should shorten the regular season
In order to make the game more compelling, the NBA experimented with a shortened preseason game on Sunday, but the real problem is that the 82 game regular season is too long
Emiliano Martínez: five things to know about Arsenal’s third-choice keeper
He shipped five against Reading and doesn’t know his El Arse from his Emirates. However, the Argentinian returns to Arsenal’s first team against Anderlecht with experience behind him
• Third-choice keeper to start against Anderlecht
• Mathieu Flamini: injuries no excuse for Arsenal
William Gallas was a great player who let his defending do the talking
Former Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs man was a fine defender but could be an enigmatic presence both on and off the pitch
• Gallas announces retirement after 19-year career
Loïc Rémy ‘hopes to be fit’ for Chelsea’s trip to Manchester United
• Striker suffered groin injury against Maribor on Tuesday
• José Mourinho had feared a two week lay-off
• ‘We will see with the scan. I don’t think it’s too bad’
• Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: five talking points
Football transfer rumours: Manchester City to buy Mesut Özil?
Today's rumours don't know what day of the week it isREAD MORE...
‘Why the hell were only CSKA fans allowed in?’ – Kompany blasts Uefa
• Manchester City captain angry at away fans’ absence
• 350 people watched game despite stadium closure for racism
• Pellegrini admits City struggled with the cold
San Francisco Giants 7-1 Kansas City Royals: 2014 World Series Game 1 - as it happened!
- Pence power, Bumgarner pitching fuel Giants win
- Giants lead best-of-seven World Series 1-0
- Game 2 is Wednesday
Michael Cheika confirmed as new Wallabies coach
- Led NSW Waratahs to Super Rugby title
- Australia leave for European tour on Friday
Has the end of a match ever been cut due to TV’s black-out laws?
Plus: hat-trick of headers (2); games against teams whose name start with the same letter; and managerial changes versus league position. Send your questions and answers to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @TheKnowledge_GUREAD MORE...
Vincent Kompany questions why Uefa banned Manchester City supporters
• Captain hits out after CKSA Moscow fans were allowed in
• Kompany: ‘The only team being punished here is City’
• City forced to settle for point after late CSKA Moscow penalty
Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: five talking points
The home side went in for the kill early, Loïc Rémy had a mixed night and Didier Drogba is still finding his feet despite scoring
• Match report: Chelsea 6-0 Maribor
England call up Bath’s serving soldier Semesa Rokoduguni
• Wing will join 33-man squad for New Zealand Test
• Jonathan Joseph and Henry Slade also in line for call
• Robert Kitson: Lancaster has to fine-tune
Kevin Muscat interview: 'When I'm calm I make better decisions'
The Melbourne Victory coach is a changed man, he tells Jack Kerr, just don’t call him mellow
Chelsea v Maribor: Champions League - as it happened
Chelsea were irrepressible as they romped to a 6-0 victory against game but limited opposition while keeping plenty in the tank for the weekend